Guide to Filing a Small Claims Against The City of New York Small Claims Actions Against City Agencies. By Karine Megrabyan, CivilTree.com.
When it comes to filing a small claims
action against a government agency in the state of New York, certain
notification is needed. The city requires a notice from the individual
within 90 days of the occurrence. Once the city has been notified of
the occurrence, the individual will receive a “Notice of Claim”. Fill
out the notice of claim and submit it to the court address provided by
the agency. The New York State Court of Claims will examine the
pleading and will set a trial if no settlements have been reached.
See My Action Steps Below To Guide You:
The best contacts and resources to help you get it done.
Below is a list of City agencies that are known as “Mayoral Agencies.”
1. Office of the Comptroller
2. Office of the Mayor
3. Fire Department/Emergency Medical Service
4. Police Dept. (Including Housing/Transit)
5. Sanitation Department
6. Department of Buildings
7. Department of Corrections
8. Department of Finance (Sheriff’s Office)
9. Department of Environmental Protection
10. Dept. of Parks and Recreation
11. Dept. Housing Preservation and Development (City owned buildings, not projects)
12. Dept of Social Services/Human Resources Administration
13. Department of General Services
14. Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC)
15. Department of Transportation (Ferries, Highways, Parking Violations Bureau)
16. New York City Community Colleges (2-year colleges)
Filed With: City of New York Comptroller, One Centre Street, New York, NY 10007.
For small claims actions against Non-Mayoral agencies.
1. N.Y.C. Department of Education S.I.R.T.O.AN.Y.C.
2. Health and Hospitals Corporation M.T.A. Bridges and Tunnels
N.Y.C. Transit Authority (MABSTOA) N.Y.C
3. Housing Authority, Law Dept.
Must Be Filed With:
of Claims of the State of New York. The Gov. Nelson Rockefeller Empire
State Plaza, Box 7344Capitol Station, Albany, NY 12224 Tel: 518-432-3411.
Small Claims Against Agencies
Small Claims Actions Against State Agencies Such AS:
State Department of Motor Vehicles
State Department of Commerce State
Department of Labor State Insurance
Department State University of New York City University State Insurance Fund
Must Be Filed In: Court of Claims of the State of New York
The Gov. Nelson Rockefeller Empire State Plaza, Box 7344 Capitol Station, Albany, NY 12224 Tel: 518-432-3411
Get More Information By Visiting nyscourtofclaims.state.ny.us
Get More information about small claims courts in the state of New York
by visiting: http://www.nyscourtofclaims.state.ny.us/
The official Site of New York Court of Claims
Ready To File Your complaint?